How do I get my girlfriend’s name off the deed when I refinance the house we bought together?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my girlfriend’s name off the deed when I refinance the house we bought together?

We bought the house 2 months ago. She wants her name off the mortgage and is moving out. I want to make sure her name come off the deed when I refinance.

Asked on May 22, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

She would have to deed, such as quitclaim deed, her interest to you at the time of the refinancing. Refinancing alone does not remove someone from a deed; they must transfer their interest to another person voluntarily. You and she should enter into a signed agreement before hand that in exchange for you refinancing the mortgage in your own name only, and so removing her from liabilty for it, she will quitclaim all her interest in the property to you; by having a signed agreement, if she suddenly refuses to do this, you could sue her to force her to do what she agreed. Then at the time of the refinancing, she needs to execute and you need to file a quitclaim deed. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption