How do I get my ex to pay alimony if I discover he lied about receiving a bonus?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my ex to pay alimony if I discover he lied about receiving a bonus?

My ex just admitted that he lied about not receiving a bonus this year. He doesn’t want to pay the $32,000 he owes and wants me to wait until next year. How do I get him to pay what he owes and how can I find out if he shortchanged me last yearvery likely?

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only way to force him to pay is by taking him back to court and seeking a court order compelling him to pay the previously ordered or agreed-upon alimony. In the process, if his payment is in any way based or conditioned on the amount he earns (e.g. you get a percentage or share of his income generally or bonus specifically), you can also seek  "discovery" (information and documentation) about his income, to ascertain how much he makes and therefore owes you. Speak to a family law attorney, as you threatened, about doing this; again, a legal action is the *only* way to force him to pay and/or reveal information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption