How do I get my ex-roommate’s things out of my house?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my ex-roommate’s things out of my house?

I had a roommate for over 2 years. He became very ill and could no longer take care of himself. I told him twice in 2 months that he had to get someone to help him or find another place to live. I ended up having to call 911 as he fell and I could not get him up. They took him to the hospital and he is in critical care. He has been out of the house for a month now and all his belongings are still there. He will not talk to me as he is mad that I called 911. I told social services at the hospital that he could not come back to my house.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your roommate still has items in the rental that you were sharing with him, are you on a month-to-month lease with the landlord for the occupation of the unit? Have you been paying the full rent for the place you are staying since the roommate has been hospitalized or is somehow is he paying a portion?

From what you have written given an emergency situation that happened to your roommate where he was and is hospitalized, you do not seem to have a right to remove his belongings from the unit that you share. I suggest that you speak with the landlord about what happened to your roommate as well as the parents or some other close relative of your roommate as to what the intent is for him to return to the unit being rented by you both before doing anything with his belongings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption