How do I get my ex-girlfriend off the deed if she has abandoned the property?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my ex-girlfriend off the deed if she has abandoned the property?

I bought a house and it is in my name and the name of another lady. She made a few payments but stopped paying her half while I was stationed overseas. When I came back from overseas over a year ago and she had abandoned the house, took my things and notices of past property taxes were posted on the door. I had to pay $6,000 in past property taxes and I am also the only one making the house payments. I bought the house through owner financing. Her name is still on the deed and I would like to remove her off of it. She refuses to sign a quick claim deed

Asked on September 1, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to obtain help from an attorney in your area as soon as you possibly can.  She is the legal owner of the house and she has rights here.  But she also has obligations.  I can not tell if she is on the other documents you speak of here: the tax bill and the mortgage.  If she is then her obligations are documented there.  If she is not do not worry: she still may have these obligations.  Why will she not sign over the house?  Does she want to be bought out?  You need to sit down with the lawyer and speak about your options on the matter.  You may have to bring an action against her to pay her obligations.  AT that point in time she may be so overwhelmed with the prospect of having to pay you so much money she will negotiate a deal.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption