How do I get my charge dismissed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my charge dismissed?

I was working on a car at my child’s mother’s house. It is a back house with an alley entrance. The car I was working on was parked in the alley in front of her fence. The hood, trunk and driver door were all open. An officer came speeding down the alley and got out of his vehicle. I informed him I had warrants for FTA on driving with a suspended license. He searched me and found nothing but then wanted to search the car. I did not allow this since it is not my car or my house. However, he proceeded any way. Also, this officer knows my family seeing how both of my sisters lived in the same house as him for extended periods of time. He claims to have found bags of a controlled substance. I was arrested and refused an O.R. bail, $20,000, for the alleged charge. Was this a lawful search and seizure?

Asked on June 27, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You do need an attorney, whether it's with the public defender's office or a private attorney.  You need to file what is called a motion to supress.  It doesn't sound like the vehicle was going to be impounded.... as such... the officer may not have had any reason to search the vehicle.  The impound issue is significant because many vehicles are 'inventoried' (fancy word for searched) when a vehicle is about to be impounded after a traffic stop.  If this was not the case in your situatution(i.e. no impound), you may be able to get the search supressed.... and any evidence that was subsequently found. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption