How do I get my car back from my ex-boyfriend?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my car back from my ex-boyfriend?

Last Christmas my mother took out a loan so I can get a car. My ex-boyfriend helped me pick the car but a couple months ago I was in the field for work, US Army, and when I returned I saw that he took the car and traded it in for another car. Now that we are broken up, he won’t give the car back and I’m still paying the loan my mom took out for me to get the original car. What do I do?

Asked on August 11, 2016 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, if he took and traded the car without your permission, he stole your car and committed theft: you could report him for auto theft to the  police, which may help get your car back.
Second, you can sue him for stealing your car (theft is something you can about [a "tort"] as well as crime); you would sue for the then current fair market, or "blue book," value of the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption