How do I get money for belongings thrown out wrongfully by my landlord before I vacated the apartment?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get money for belongings thrown out wrongfully by my landlord before I vacated the apartment?

I recently ended a month-month lease and moved away to another city. My rent was paid but I did not directly talk to my landlord. Unfortunately, I could not move all my belongings out of the apartment before the 5th of the month. I then planned to pay the extra month’s rent. My landlord removed the belongings before the 5th? I have not received my security deposit. What can I do to get my security deposit and cash back for my belongings they wrongly threw out?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it appears that your former landlord improperly entered the rental before the lease was ended and used self help to remove your belongings. He or she is obligated to return your security deposit so many days after move out and if the entire amount is not returned, an itemization with receipts for the used portion must be sent to you.

I would write the former landlord a letter (keeping a copy for yourself) as to the improper conduct that transpired with a demand for the items thrown out to be paid you within a set date as well as all orher money owed.

If not paid to you by then, your option is small claims court or to consult with a landlord tenant attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption