How doI get in touch with the judge that handled my case in order to seal my record?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI get in touch with the judge that handled my case in order to seal my record?

About 4 or 5 years ago I was convicted of grand theft in the third degree. I was wondering how to go about sealing my record enable me to get a job or an apartment? I have not had any other convictions since my sentence.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Rather than making a motion to seal your criminal file as to a criminal conviction, you should consider retaining a criminal defense attorney about the possibility of filing a motion to expunge your prior conviction instead. An expungement motion is a process where a convicted person seeks to have the conviction against him or her eliminated.

If the motion is granted, the conviction for all intents and purposes no longer exists. There is no guarantee that a motion for an expungement in your situation would be granted, but it is worth exploring.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption