How do i get deceased dads medical records from his pcp hospital where he died?

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i get deceased dads medical records from his pcp hospital where he died?

My dad died in july. He had 5
severe strokes and heart problems
over the past 10 years which left
him where he couldnt walk, talk,
etc.I am an heir in his will. I
have an interest because his will
was changed twice, and im
contesting it.

Asked on November 24, 2018 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you initiate a legal action, such as a challenge to the will, in the course of that legal action, you can issue a subpoena to the hospital for the records: in a lawsuit/legal action, you can demand and get relevant information and documentation, such as these medical records. But you can only do so in a legal action: until and unless you sue (and so can issue subpoenas), you cannot compel them to release the records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption