How do I get back wages that were stolen from me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get back wages that were stolen from me?

I work in a small company in Orange County. I get paid weekly. I have been with the company since July 1st. Every week except 2, my payroll check has bounced or returned for insufficient

funds. New Link Destination
the point that I had to open an account with my employers bank to keep this from having severe negative impacts. I have not once received an itemized paystub. All I get is a handwritten slip of paper that shows how may hours I worked during the pay period. Literally

nothing else. I recently received a W2 that shows my year end earnings as $14,310. A rough calculation is that I made closer to $15,000. I have had deductions amounting to around $150 come out of each weekly check. My boss frequently makes me pick things up in my own vehicle that are 50 miles away without reimbursing me. I fill out reimbursement forms but never see

this reimbursement.

Asked on February 7, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Figure out how much you should earned in gross wages for the amount of hours (if an hourly employee) or weeks (if salaried) during the year and compare to what you were paid in gross wages: if you were paid less than should have been, based on how much you worked and your hourly wage or weekly salary, then if your employer will not voluntarily correct the shortfall and pay you the amount you are owed, you could sue your employer for the money.
Your employer is NOT required to reimburse you for the use of your own vehicle even though the employer can require you use your own vehicle. Employers may make employees use their own cars, trucks, etc. for work and do not need to pay them for mileage, gas, or anything else. Many employers choose to provide compensation for the employee's use of his/her vehicle, but that is the employer's choice: you cannot require them to compensate or reimburse you for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption