How do I get back inheritence tax paid?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get back inheritence tax paid?

I do not believe that I should have to pay inheritance tax on the family farm in Iowa that I inherited when my father’s second wife died. there were no wills and it took my sister and I 4 years to finally get the farm that was rightfully ours. We ended up paying the inheritance tax, but we do not believe we owe it. Do we have recourse?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Please eek help from an estate accountant or estate planner in your area.  Each state laws differ.  It is my undertsanding that Wisconsin abilished the inheritance tax in 1992 so maybe you are correct.  But maybe what you paid was really some thing different.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption