How do I get an event planner to refund my vendor fee for the cancelled event

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get an event planner to refund my vendor fee for the cancelled event

I agreed to be a vendor at a 2 weekend lacrosse tournament for 325.
After the first weekend the coordinators said that no teams registered for
the second weekend so it is cancelled and half of my vendor fee would be
returned. I have it in an email as well. That was in June. I have emailed
and called many times since the. And have had zero response to my
emails and voicemails. No one answers their phones How do I get my
vendor fee back? Thanks

Asked on August 21, 2016 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get your money back would be to sue for it: you would sue based on breach of contract (if they can't provide the second weekend date, they can't keep the money for it, since they are not providing what you paid for or what they agreed to provide). Be warned that if they are in a different county than you, you will most likely have to sue in "regular" county court, not small claims court, due to geographic limitations on most small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption