How do I get a satisfaction of judgment?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a satisfaction of judgment?

Judge awarded judgment of $250 to landlord. Landlord was holding a security deposit of $420. Judge stated that the landlord was to pay the balance of $170 to me, the former tenant. In his written decision Judge did not mention the security deposit only stated that the balance was to be piad to me. Landlord and his attorney refuses to enter a satisfaction of judgment. This has been on my credit report for 6 years and I need to get it “satisfied”.

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


Robert Miller / Law Office of Robert G. Miller

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a Motion with the Court in the case where the judgment was obtained to request a satisfaction indicating that it was paid.  You can also send a copy of the court's order with an explanation to the 3 major credit bureaus indicating why the judgment should be removed from your credit report or marked as disputed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption