How do I get a religious organization, of which I was previously a member, to stop harassing me?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a religious organization, of which I was previously a member, to stop harassing me?

I continually ask that they not contact me. Every time I have changed residences their ward (parish) leaders find me. Someone is having my membership records sent to them or this would not be happening. I was recently contacted after a year respite. They asked if they could visit me and that they would call to make an appointment. I politely declined, in writing and requested that they stop bothering me as I am no longer a member. I never received a call but they showed up on my doorstep anyway. In my letter I stated that if needed I would seek legal action. What can I do to stop them?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Personal Injury, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are being harassed by members of the religious organization that you were a member of and wish that all future contact ceases with you, the following needs to be done:

1. write the members contacting you a letter stating that future contact must cease immediately and if not, you will avail your self of your legal options. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

2. if contact continues, then you consult with an attorney that has experience in getting restraining orders such as a family law attorney and file a petition for such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption