How do I get a paid mortgage cancelled and off my credit report?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a paid mortgage cancelled and off my credit report?

I sold my home 3 years ago. I have the HUD1 settlement papers. The mortgage companynever cancelled the mortgage so it shows on my credit as unpaid. Both the mortgage company no longer exists due to fraud.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you sold your home through an established escrow company handling the sale for the buyer and seller, you need to obtain copies of all documents within the escrow file and inquire of the escrow officer why a full reconveyance of the trust deed or mortgage that was recorded on your property when sold was supposedly not recorded at the time of sale since the loan shouldhave been paid off at sale.

Potentially there was a full reconveyance of your mortgage/trust deed at the time of the sale and it was recorded on the property at close. If it was, you need to get a certified copy of it from the county recorder's office where your former home is located. Look up the chain of title and perhaps it will be there.

If it is, send a letter certified mail, return receipt requested with the certified copy of the full reconveyance of your paid off trust deed recorded on your former home to the credit reporting agency that you saw the unpaid mortgage/trust deed mentioned with.

I suspect that the glitch is most likely on the credit reporting company and not upon the escrow company. If the escrow company made the mistake in not recording the full reconveyance, the new property owner would have contacted you by now about it.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption