How do I get a new court date?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a new court date?

I was in a car accident last week, other party claimed that he had personal
injury. He went to the ambulance and they checked him for 5 minutes then the guy
came back to the accident scene. The police gave me a ticket for careless driving
and required court appearance. I went to the court and judge said that I need a
new court date because victim wasn’t in the court.

Asked on October 18, 2016 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Every court has slightly different procedures, but they all come down to ask the court the way they want to be asked (e.g, phone call to the judge's chambers; letter to the clerk's office; etc.) and provide whatever information or documentation the court wants. Easiest thing to do is to call the court, ask for the clerk, explain the situation, then ask them how you apply for and get a new date. If you know there are dates that will not work for you (e.g, previously scheduled vacation), have that information at hand.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption