How do I get a former client to pay my unpaid invoices sub-contracted bookkeeping services?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a former client to pay my unpaid invoices sub-contracted bookkeeping services?

I performed various accounting tasks for a business. After almost 3 years of service, they convinced me to close my bookkeeping practice down and come to work for them full time. I was employed 6 months and then they terminated my employment. I have filed for unemployment since I received a final severance paycheck on 6/29/18. I still show an outstanding receivable on my books for them for 14,153.13 of that amount, 551.31 are reimbursements for company costs that I paid out of pocket and 1,401.82 is interest that I charged for late/no payments.

I have been attempting to negotiate, but they are really not guaranteeing me payment in full.

What is my legal recourse? Or what can I do further in efforts to collect?

Jentry Hull
208 631-5766

Asked on July 10, 2018 under Business Law, Idaho


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the former client for breach of contract / account stated. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit ) would be the amount you are owed. 
Don't sign any release until you have received full payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption