How do I get a divorce from my husband who is in Indonesia?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a divorce from my husband who is in Indonesia?

My husband went back to Indonesia and I want a divorce. He left me with a lot of expences like a car note bills, etc. I am disabled and can’t work.

Asked on June 21, 2017 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Obtaining a divorce when one of the spouse's lives outside the U.S. is a bit more complicated that if they were residing in the U.S. Every state's divorce laws are different but all require that as long as just one spouse meets the state's residency requirement, a divorce can be filed there, even if the other spouse lives outside of the country. You will have to serve your husband notice of the divorce proceedings. If you don't know his exact address in Indonesia, then you can publish notice in a newspaper (known as "divorce by publication"). If your spouse does not answer within the legal time period specified, then the court can grant a divorce on the terms that you request. The exact steps for serving your spouse overseas or for filing for a "divorce by publication" are set by state law. You should speak directly to a local divorce attorney; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption