How do I get a divorce decree if I don’t know where my ex filed?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a divorce decree if I don’t know where my ex filed?

I’m in Guam; he filed in the states.

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Family Law, Alaska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you don't know where your ex filed, then you were not given proper notice of the filing. If your ex filed properly, you would have received something in the mail. If he or she didn't know your addrress, it would be hard to get proper notice to you. He or she would have to show that he or she had a correct address and couldn't get you served and then he or she would be allowed to then publish the notice in a newspaper of general circulation where you would be. If you know where your ex lives or lived, check the court in that state. That is most likely where this person would have filed for divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption