How doI get a car back that was awarded to me in my divorce?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI get a car back that was awarded to me in my divorce?

I just got my divorce finalized and I was awarded a car but my ex is hiding it. What is the best way to recover it?Can she get in trouble for hiding it and should I file other papers?

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you really think that your ex is hiding the car then she is in violation of the court order.  Generally that is known as "contempt" and Judges do not like it when parties violate the order sthat they write and fail to turn over property awarded in a divorce.  It makes them angry.  They often fine a party for such behaviour or throw them in jail.  I would bring a motion for villation of the order, demanding that she turn over the vehicle and to hold her in contempt.  ASk for sanctions and attorneys fees. I bet that she will "find" the car and bring it to you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption