How do I find out what I am entitled to, if I am the only child and no family member are talking?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out what I am entitled to, if I am the only child and no family member are talking?

My father passed away early
January. He was in the service for
some time but no one knows any
information as to whether or not
he had a will, etc. What do I do?

Asked on February 27, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I don't know what you mean by "no family members are talking". If your father left a surviving spouse, then she would be the one to ask about his Will. If he did not and you merely mean that no one knows if he had a Will, then you can contact the local probate court to see if he filed a Will with it. If not, then ask other family members or his friends to see if they know of a Will. Additionally, you can creach out to his professional contacts, starting with his attorney; if that is of no help then call his accountant, financial planner, etc. to see if they know of the existence of a Will. If you do find a that your father had one, then as his heir you are entitled to see a copy, even if you are not listed as a beneficiary to his estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption