How doI find out information on a casethat Iknew nothing about?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI find out information on a casethat Iknew nothing about?

We just got summons for a case about drug paraphernalia possession. However we have not lived in the state for almost 10 months. When we called they couldn’t give us information. We don’t know what to do from so far away.

Asked on July 29, 2011 Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The case number is on the documents you received along with the name of the court where the case was filed.  You could have someone go to that court with the case number.  The person gives the case number to the court clerk and asks to see the file.  The file cannot be removed from the court, but the court clerk can photocopy the entire file or portions of the file that you want.  If the person goes to the court without the case number, the person will have to find your name under defendants in the court's computer in order to get the case number.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption