How do I find out if somebody filed a lawsuit in my name and there was a payout?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out if somebody filed a lawsuit in my name and there was a payout?

How do I find out if somebody filed a lawsuit in my name and there was a pay out to me that I

didn’t receive it. It went to somebody else, impersonating me.

Asked on September 8, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you know in which court the lawsuit was filed, look in that court's computer in the plaintiff/ defendant index for your name under plaintiffs.
When you find your name, obtain the case number. Give the court clerk the case number and ask to see the file. You can view the file, but can't  take it from the court. Ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or the sections that you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption