How do I find out if my ex employer has a enforceable non-compete agrement

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out if my ex employer has a enforceable non-compete agrement

I left my previous employer 06/01/18, and started a LLC with a partner. We are in a new industry, Surveillance, security and fire Systems. But, I have old clients looking for my services in Industrial Water Waste Water Control.

I ‘may’ of signed a non-compete agreement at time of hire in April of 2005. This was a re-hire in 05, the paperwork was marginal, as I had worked with them from 2001 to 2004 as well.

How would I find out if I did sign a agreement in 2005, and if I did, for how long is it enforceable, if at all?

Thank you for your time,
MR. Help me, Can’t save you for now.

Asked on July 24, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't find out if there was a non-compete agreement until you compete and they try to enforce it against you; or rather, you can ask your employer (if you deem it advisable to do so), but you can't force them to answer you or show any agreement to you.
An agreement will be enforceable against you for however long the agreement says it can be, typically up to a maximum of (for non-former-owner employees) one (1) year after you quit or resign. It doesn't matter how long ago you signed it; the length of its enforceabilty is the designated period of time after you voluntarily leave (quit or resign) employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption