How do I find out about my savings bond with very limited information about the person who bought it?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out about my savings bond with very limited information about the person who bought it?

When I was born my paternal grandmother bought a savings bond to pay for my college and she died about a year after that. My mom cannot remember that much about my grandmother and she never had her social security number (which the US Treasury requires to find out about a savings bond). I am no longer on speaking terms with my father and I don’t know if he was also put on the savings bond and if so, then I don’t know if he has cashed it already. I would just like to find out whether I have it or not to pay off my student loans.

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The United States Treasury has forms to make a claim for lost savings bonds. Possibly you can go online through certain search engines concerning the location of your grandmother as to where she passed away and from there you might be able to get her social security number from certain geneology organizations or the county where she passed office of vital statistics.

Another option is for you to contact the United States Treasury Department and the lost savings bond may be able to be cross referenced with your name and social security number. The best way to get answers to your question is to contact the United States Treasury Department.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption