How doI find if my daughter has savings bonds in her name?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI find if my daughter has savings bonds in her name?

My daughter will be going to college next year. When she was little her grandmother on her father’s side sent me a notice that a savings bond had been purchased in my daughter’s name. We never got the bond. I believe it was mailed to her father who we have no contact with or address to find. Is there a way we can check if there are bonds in her name? Her grandmother used to buy these annually for her grandkids. She is still living but where I don’t know. We have had no contact in 12 years. I’m assuming she stopped purchasing then.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your daughter has some United States savings bonds in her name but cannot locate them or have no idea if they where the bond or bonds might be located, you need to do the following:

1. go online and type in "".

2. you then complete "public debt form 1048" including as much information about the person who was to get the bond, social security number, address, the presenter's name, his or her address, and social security number.

3. take the compeleted 1048 form to a financial institution that sells United States savings bonds. A representative for the financial institution will then send the completed form to the United States Treasury which will do a search based upon the information presented in the form and return the information to either you or the financial institution where form 1048 was presented.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption