How do I file my I-485 concurrently with an I-130?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file my I-485 concurrently with an I-130?

I’m a little confused – most websites say that I have to include an original copy of the I-130 in my I-485 application package, but others say that the I-130 petition package and the I-485 package should be kept separate and mailed at the same time.Which is it? Separate I-130 package with relevant documentation and only a copy of I-130 to be included in I-485 package? Or combine the two with all supporting documentation/evidence?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Immigration Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The I-485 application form is for your own permanent residency in the United States. The I-130 application form is for the application of a relative who is an alien to the United States being sponsored by a legal resident of the United States related to that person.

You need to first send your I-485 application in to the Immigration and naturalization Service. I would then wait a week or so and then send the I-130 application form to the same governmental entity and cross reference the I-485 application and all documentation/evidence previously sent when the I-130 application is subsequently submitted.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption