How do I file for naturalization for my husband?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file for naturalization for my husband?

He came into the US illegally when he was brought at 7 years of age by his parents. I am a US citizen. How can I make sure that he doesn’t have to return to Mexico and wait for approval there?

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Immigration Law, Colorado


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You really cannot do anything about your husband not having to go back to his home country UNLESS he had a petition that was filed on his behalf by a relative or an employer prior to April 30, 2001.  That would grandfather him under 245i.  If that was not done, under the current immigration laws, he cannot adjust status within the US but must consular process in his home country. As soon as he departs the US, however, he will trigger an automatic bar to reentry, which can only be waived by a showing of extreme hardship to a US citizen spouse, and this is rather difficult in most cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption