How do I file for divorce and send the paperwork to my husband in India for him to sign, if it is a contested divorce?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file for divorce and send the paperwork to my husband in India for him to sign, if it is a contested divorce?

Thanks very much for the answer and guidance. I have one more question.How should i get it served to send my husband contested divorce papers. What if i don’t know anyone in India who can serve the papers? How should I get it served?

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the service laws of all states in this country, a summons and complaint can be served as follows on the respondent/defendant:

1. personal service;

2. notice and acknowledgment of receipt where the respondent/defendnant signs a paper regarding receipt of the pleadings which is filed with the court;

3. publication;

4. certified mail.

In your situation you might wish to consult with a family law attorney to assist you in making contact with a process server in India to serve your husband with the maritial dissolution paper work. India whose legal system is similar to our has process servers to do what you need done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption