How doI file an objection to a default judgement?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI file an objection to a default judgement?

I filed a state complaint against a contractor. The instructions for that said to with hold payment, so I did. The state process is very slow and the contractor filed a civil suit against me for the amount I had not paid them. They just recently got a default judgement against us because my husband did not sign the answer to the summons/complaint. I obviously need to file an objection to the judgement. We have a hearing on the state case coming up soon.

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file a motion to set aside the default.  At the law library, look in the index of Pleading and Practice for default, motion to set aside.  This will give you the general format for a motion to set aside a default.  Filing a motion requires a memorandum of points and authorities which consists of cases or other legal precedents supporting your motion.  For the memorandum of points and authorities, look in the index of Points and Authorities at the law library.  Look for points and suthorities supporting a motion to set aside a default.

File with the court your motion to set aside the default, memorandum of points and authorities supporting your motion to set aside the default and an attached proof of service.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your documents to the opposing party.  You can use a court form proof of service or you can write your own.  If you write your own, it just says that you are over 18 and the attached documents were sent via first class mail unless stated otherwise to __________ (name and address of opposing party or opposing party's attorney) on _________ (date).  You sign and date at the bottom. The date you sign should be the same as the date of mailing and the same date you file your documents with the court.

If the judge grants your motion to set aside the default, the case is then back on track and litigation will continue. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption