How do I file a quit claim deed?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file a quit claim deed?

I’m recently divorced and the house that my ex and I jointly owned was awarded to me in the divorce. I have the final judgment and spoke to the mortgage company about assuming the mortgage and removing her name from the loan and am in the process of doing so. I know I need to file a quit claim, but I’m not really sure how to go about it and no one that I know does either. Do I need an attorney? Is this something with which the County Clerk’s office can assist me?

Asked on April 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You won't need an attorney to file a quitclaim deed.

Your ex should sign the quitclaim deed in the presence of a notary.  After the quitclaim deed has been notarized, file it with the County Recorder's office.  In some states, the County Clerk is also the County Recorder.  It would be advisable to ask the County Clerk's office if it is the County Recorder's office if you don't see any separate listing for County Recorder.

The language of the quitclaim deed would say, I, ________ (name of ex) quitclaim (release) any interest, right or title I have in the real property described as ____________ (address of the house) to _________  (your name).


_______________  (printed name of your ex)

_________________ (signature of ex)

Your ex should sign and date the document in the presence of a notary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption