How do I file a petition in small claims court if both parties live in different states?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file a petition in small claims court if both parties live in different states?

My boyfriend’s daughter owes me money and I have tried asking her for it but to no avail . I decided to take her to court and need to know how to proceed.

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


Robert Johnston / Law Office of Robert J. Johnston Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

South Carolina Magistrate Court system routinely operates to assist people who are not represented by attorneys. Go to your local Magistrate Court and tell them what you want to do. They will not give you legal advise, but they are allowed to give procedural advise. I just also recommend talking with a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption