How do I exclude family members from contesting my Will?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I exclude family members from contesting my Will?

I want to will all of my possessions to a non family member. I have 3 children, parents, brothers and an ex-wife. I want to be sure no one can contest my Will so that it goes smoothly for my friend who will inherit everything. My estate is worth $1.5 million in cash and property.

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to have your wishes honored under your question is to retain an experienced Wills and trust attorney to draft a Will or trust for you. In the document that you will sign, there needs to be specific reference that you have your children, parents, brothers and a former wife where all are specifically designated in the body of the document to be signed and dated by you.

In the document, you must specifically state that you have purposefully made no provision for these relatives by name as well as the former wife and that should anyone contest the Will or trust, he or she is entitled to only one-dollar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption