How do I evict someone with an oral contract in Colorado.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I evict someone with an oral contract in Colorado.

Renting a house from an uncle. We let a friend move
in until he got back on his feet. Oral contract included
that he needed to have a job. He lost his job and has
decided not to find a job for at least 3 weeks. How
can I proceed?

Asked on June 18, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since this friend appears not to be paying rent (or any form of rent such as utlities, groceries, etc.), then at this point they are considered to be a guest who has oversatyed their invitation. Accordingly, they are trsspassing and you can call the ploice to remove them. at least, in theorty. the fact si that typically the police are hestant to get involved in these situtions and consider them to be a civil matter. If this is the case in your situation, an action for "ejectment" can be filed; it is like an eviction but for a non-tenant. However, typically only the property owner can file for it, so you will need your landlord's help here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption