How do I evict free loaders?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I evict free loaders?

My mom passed away almost a year ago. She verbally told 2 of my siblings that they could live in her cabin; it was agreed that they would pay the land taxes. However, the taxes are now past due and they say they have no money to cover the taxes. I am the new sole owner of the cabin as of 5 months ago. Since I am now the sole owner and the taxes are going to have to be paid by me, I want to evict them from the cabin. I have no written, verbal or text agreement with them to live there. I believe now that mom is no longer on the deed so that her verbal permission should be null and void. Am I correct or way off base? How do I get them out?

Asked on March 7, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are very on-base:
1) First, the permission of a prior property owner to live on the property is null and void and does not bind or obligate the current owner.
2) Building on the above, permission to stay on property as a "guest" (as other than a rent-paying tenant) may be revoked at any time anyway: whomever owns the property can provide notice (it should be written notice, and should give some reasonable time to move out--typically at least a month/30 days) to the guests that they have leave whenever the property owner wants to.
If your siblings don't leave after notice, you can bring a kind of legal action traditionally called an action "for ejectment" (essentially, eviction for nontenants) to remove them. You have to do it by this legal action (lawsuit). While your right to remove them is clear, the action is somewhat technicial in terms of the paperwork, etc.--you would be best off letting an attorney help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption