How do I draft a contract for loaning money to my fiance?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I draft a contract for loaning money to my fiance?

I submitted a payment of $3,500 for a retainer fee for an attorney for my fiance for a lawsuit over a property with his ex-wife. How do I draft a legal document that holds him responsible for repaying me the $3,500?

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It seems silly to say go and seek help from an attorney when the legal fee could be the same as the amount owed to you.  What you want to do is to have your fiance execute a promissory note that you could sue upon should he default.  So I might go and seek out a legal supply store and see if they have an accepted form for a promissory note or try this link:

Once you fill it out ask a lawyer in the area if they will review it for a flat fee (a few hundred dollars maybe) to make sure all is fine. And ask then what the requirements for executing are to make it legal.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption