How do I divorce my wife when I can’t get in contact with her?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I divorce my wife when I can’t get in contact with her?

My wife already knows I want a divorce and
agrees to it. But any attempts at contacting
her recently have failed. I have lived apart
from her since September 11th 2010. Our
children are basically grown, 17 turning 18 in
September, and 19. There’s not property or
anything to split or dispute. I live in
California now, while she lives in Michigan,
our state of residence at the time of marriage.

Asked on August 10, 2019 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can file your petition for dissolution of marriage in CA, and have your wife served with those documents by an MI process server. If necessary, the process server can do a skip trace to locate your wife and serve her with the documents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption