How doI disperse money to creditors when there is not enough assets in the estate to cover the debts?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI disperse money to creditors when there is not enough assets in the estate to cover the debts?

Do I give an even percentage to each creditor?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the estate is being probated and certain creditor claims have been approved by you but there is not enough assets in the estate to pay the creditors, the executor and any probate attorney handling the estate, you need to file a petition with the superior court where the probate is filed seeking an order from the court as to how the assets from the estate are to be distributed.

The court will review the petition and make an award where in all likelihood the crediotrs whose claims that have been accepted for payment by the executor will receive a diminished percentage of what was requested as payment in full.

It is very important to obtain such an order from the probate court for the allowed distribution of  assets to protect the executor from liability claims later on by any creditor.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption