How do I det up a will?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I det up a will?

I want to donate by body to science and
my personal belongings to a charity. How
can I do that?

Asked on December 21, 2017 under Estate Planning, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A will--you need a will. The will can direct who or what (for example, the charity) gets your personal belongings. The will can also dictate your "funeral arrangements"--including leaving your body to science. In the will, you will designate an "executor" to carry out your wishes and have the authority to do so: typically a family member, friend, or your attorney or accountant. Such a will is simple: any attorney who does wills can draft this for you at a reasonable price and also make sure it is properly executed and signed so as to be legal and enforceable.
You should also contact the institution to which you wish to leave your body, make sure they want it, and fill out any paperwork they have for the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption