How do I cut financial ties from my spouse?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I cut financial ties from my spouse?

I went through the mediation process and we have been at the judgement stage.
The paperwork has been ready to sign but my husband is now stalling and doesn’t
agree. I’m worried about still being financially tied to this person as he’s
acting erratic and making poor decisions. For example, if he gets in an accident
or even worse, kills someone while driving drunk, I don’t want to lose
everything. Is there any way I can file something which then cuts my financial
responsibility for him without having to wait until he actually signs the

Asked on June 29, 2016 under Family Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you have already been through mediation and reached an agreement, then you should be able to file a motion to have the final decree entered.... or at the very least ask the judge to officially pronounce you and your husband "divorced"--- subject to the entry of a decree later.  This means that you will officially be divorced, thereby protecting you from future liability from any acts by your husband.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption