How do I compel my ex-husband to follow the divorce decree concerning monthly payments?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I compel my ex-husband to follow the divorce decree concerning monthly payments?

I was divorced 11 months ago. Under the heading “Further Asset Distribution”, he was to pay me $1200 per month. He has missed 2 months. What do I do to compel him to follow this contractual obligation?

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Talk to him. If he is not willing to pay, then you may have to go to the court granting your divorce to file a motion for contempt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption