How do I collect on a loan thatmy ex wife will not agree to repay?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I collect on a loan thatmy ex wife will not agree to repay?

Loaned ex-wife proceeds from my half from the sale of our house. She agreed to write up repayment papers or at least a sign an IOU. To date she has done nothing. How do I go about collecting?

Asked on July 28, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing to do is send her a letter with a written promissory note stating the amount loaned, the rate of interest and the payment date toyour former wife asking it to be signed and returned to you. Also included should be documents showing that the loan was actually made. Keep copies of all documents sent for future reference.

If she does not sign the promissory note in the requested time period, you have the option of deeming the loan entirely due and payable if it is not already, and bring a legal action against her in your county court house for breach of contract and common counts.

If the amount owed is substantial, you should consider consulting with an attorney to get what is owed you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption