How do I collect on a check my employer put a stop payment on?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I collect on a check my employer put a stop payment on?

My now former boss finally gave me a check to reimburse me for the supplies I bought for the company in Dec./Jan. I walked out on the day the check was deposited and he put a stop payment on the check so it was taken back out of my account. This was to pay for receipts that he has from the products I purchased for the company. He has already sold and been paid for those products. He’s already accused me of stealing things I haven’t so I’m guessing that’s going to be his claim for what he’s done. How do I collect the money without having to pay a lot of money to do so? It was for $300 but I need that money back.

Asked on May 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him for the money: if you purchased the supplies for work, he agreed to reimburse you, and/or he has made use of the materials/products, he has to pay you. You would sue him for "breach of contract," or for violating the agreement to reimburse you. Suing in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se," is a good, low-cost and fast, option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption