How do I collect my share of her retirement?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I collect my share of her retirement?

My ex and I were divorced about 2 months ago, as part of the settlement I was
awarded half of her retirement from where she works. How do I go about collecting

Asked on September 4, 2017 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Is you wife in pay status?  Meaning has she already started collecting?  I am assuming that the retirement benefits were valued so you know how much we are talking about. The type of retirement plan will dictate what you need to do.  If it is an IRA or 401K type plan (a Defined Contribution Plan) then a transfer to another qualifying plan can be done relatively easily.  If it is a Defined Benefit Plan (pension) you will need what is called a QDRO - Qualified Domestic Relations Order - signed by the court.  Look in your divorce agreement and see what it says.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption