how do I collect for damage to my car by an uninsured driver?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do I collect for damage to my car by an uninsured driver?

A driver hit me at the back door and rear quarter panel of my 4 door car. A police
office, who happened to be at the scene of the accident cited me for running a red
light. I took it to court and had the charges reduced.
The officer indicated on the citation that we both had insurance, however hers had
expired 4 weeks earlier.
According to my insurance company, Geico, I was not as fault for the accident.
How do I collect the 2,300 damage to my car?

Asked on July 1, 2016 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Typically, an at fault driver's auto insurer would cover your damages. However, since they are not iinsured, then you can check with your insurer to see if you have "uninsured motorist" coverage. If you don't, then you can sue the other driver for your damages, depending on your state, you would probaly file in small claims court. However, even if you win a judgement, the other driver may not have much in the way of assets to collect on since they couldn't afford car insurance in the first place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption