How do I claim title to property through adverse possession? Owner deceased 10yrs, I’ve occupied for almost 3 yrs.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I claim title to property through adverse possession? Owner deceased 10yrs, I’ve occupied for almost 3 yrs.

I have occupied a resident for almost 3 years, all utilities are in my name, I’ve done
repairs to the property, and paid 6 months of property tax. When I attempted to pay the
remaining years property tax, it had already been paid by someone who has never lived
on the property, and is not a family member of the deceased title owner. I have not been
able to pay the property tax since 2015 due to this stranger paying them in advance. I
got a phone call today from the SON of the person who has paid these taxes,
threatening me to get off THEIR property. My question is, do I still have right to file for
the property title through adverse possession if I’ve only paid 6 months worth of taxes if
I have proof the utilities have been paid and in my name since the day I moved in, and I
currently occupy and have consistently and outwardly occupied the property for almost
3 years? Or can this person really make me homeless overnight? Also, do they have
right to even be on the property? I have a posted no trespassing sign, the title is still in
the decedents name, and they have never occupied the property. Or is it within my legal
right to call the police and report them as trespassers if they come inside my gate?

Asked on May 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, you have NO legal right to or interest in the land. That does not mean the other person has a legal right or interest, unless his claim as been settled or deterined by a court (e.g. probate court, in terms of inheritance), but it is clear that you have no right to it. (Someone other than you will be the owner.) Generally in your state, you must occupy the land for ten (10) years; while that time period can be shortened by paying the taxes, it must be three *full* years of paying taxes and occupancy, and then you would have had to bring a legal case for adverse possession before someone else started paying the taxes. Since you have occupied for only three years and only paid 6 months of property taxes, you do not meet the first, most important criteria for adverse possession--that being the case, nothing else matters. (And note: putting the utilities in your name is never relevant and never contributes to giving you ownership of land.)
So you are not a legal owner of this land. Whomever is the legal owner--and while you don't know yet if this person is the legal owner, he may be, and may well be able to prove that he is--can have you removed from the land. If you call the police on the legal owner and/or the legal owner's representative for trespassing, you could face liabiity for filing a false police report and abuse of process: you have no right to exclude the owner from his/her land.
Simply occupying land without title or a lease does not give you an rights; there are "squatter's rights" except what you might get from adverse possession which again, you do not qualify for.
If it appears there may be a legal owner trying to retake possession of the land, you may be best advised to begin looking for some place else to live.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption