How do I change my record for an erroneous felony conviction?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I change my record for an erroneous felony conviction?

I was given a judgement of no conviction (I don’t remember what it was called) 3 years ago. Then 2 years after completing probation successfully my record was suppose to be cleared. But it isn’t. Do I need to hire a lawyer in IL to do something? If so, what is involved?

Asked on August 3, 2011 Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok so you need to get a copy of the disposition of your case in order to start the ball rolling.  Here is the thing: some states require that you do something proactive to clear your record.  It is known as expungement or sealing a record.  They require that you make an application to the court to do so.  The application will most likely be granted if your account of the facts about what happened are correct.  Also remember that you need to have the arrest record taken care of as well because they are considered separate from each other.  The state web site may have information for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption