how do i change my plea if i feel my best interest was not takin in to consideration by my court apointed lawyer?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do i change my plea if i feel my best interest was not takin in to consideration by my court apointed lawyer?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You're going to have a problem with this, especially if you've already entered the guilty plea in open court.  Usually, that includes "allocution," where you testify under oath to having done whatever it is you are pleading guilty to;  at the same time, you also testify under oath, in most courts, to understanding the deal and giving up your right to a trial.

If you've signed the plea agreement papers but haven't gone on record in court, you can refuse to do that.  It will cause a confrontation, and I hope you are right about your best interests -- and I'd really suggest that if there's any way to get another lawyer's opinion on this first, you should do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption