How do I change my house deed to my name only?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I change my house deed to my name only?

My house is paid for and I want to remove my husband’s name from the deed. He co-signed on a loan with my daughter and she is behind on her house payments. Will this protect us from losing our house if she defaults on her loan.

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you want title to the home solely in your name, your husband needs to sign a grant deed of his interest in it (or a quitclaim deed) before a notary public and have it recorded in your county recorder's office.

Most likely if your daughter defaults on her home's mortgage, and assuming the loan she is behind on is the original loan when she bought her home, the lender can only take back the home on a foreclosure (purchase money loan) and not be able to sue anyone for a deficiency. I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney further about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption