How do I change an incorrect birth date on my driver’s license, social security card and other personal history?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I change an incorrect birth date on my driver’s license, social security card and other personal history?

I just recently found out that my birthday is not my birthday. My driver’s license, social security number, and personal history does not match my birth certificate. My original birthday is in December and all my documentation has a birthdate of March, 4 months after my birth. How do I go about correcting this and are there any legal issues that I will need to address? I have an expired passport with the correct birthdate that was issued prior to my knowledge of the wrong date. (I thought is was just an error and I only needed to use it once but now I know it was correct).

Asked on February 10, 2012 under General Practice, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you have written is a situation where there seems to be more than a mere typographical error in your birth certificate where your actual birth month is December and not March resulting in errors on other documentation.

To rectify the problem you will need to file a petition in the county and state where you were born seeking to change the information in your birth certificate via a court order. I suggest that you consult with a family law lawyer to assist you. Assuming you get the request you desire approved, you then seek to get chances to the other documentation you need via a certified copy of your birth certificate with the correct date on it post the court hearing where the court presumably granted your request.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption